The Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor Course is designed to prepare individuals to become instructors in ACLS. By the end of the ACLS instructor course the instructor candidate will be able to teach, conduct skills and scenario testing, and remediate using the ACLS videos and the lesson maps in the instructor manual.
This class includes BLS Provider recertification (When you bring a valid BLS provider card or a HeartCode BLS certificate to class).
- Accepted for alignment with an AHA Training Center**
- Possess a current AHA ACLS Provider card
- Possess a valid BLS Provider card or a present a valid HeartCode BLS completion certificate.
** Please note: If you do not plan to teach primarily within St. Charles County you must align as an instructor with another AHA training center. On the day of the class you will need to complete a transfer form to align with another site or bring the TC's address and the TC Coordinator's name
You are responsible for acquiring your own instructor and provider manuals and bringing them to class.
The manuals required for this course are available in paperback and eBook:
- ACLS Instructor Manual - Item #: 20-1107; ISBN: 978-1-61669-773-0
- ACLS Instructor eBook - Item #: 20-3101: ISBN: 978-1-61669-798-3
- ACLS Provider Manual - Item #: 20-1106; ISBN: 978-1-61669-772-3
- ACLS Provider eBook - Item #: 20-3100: ISBN: 978-1-61669-797-6
For concurrent BLS Provider recertification, you must also bring:
- BLS Provider Manual - Item #: 20-1102; ISBN: 978-1-61669-768-6
- BLS Provider eBook - Item #: 20-3102; ISBN: 978-1-61669-799-0
Manuals may be purchased at ShopCPR.Heart.org
Within 6 months following the successful completion of the Instructor course, the instructor candidate must be monitored teaching by Training Center Faculty (The TC may require additional monitoring, if needed).
- Complete all prerequisites
- Attend the instructor renewal class
- Demonstrate BLS and ACLS provider skills with expert proficiency
- Pass the ACLS provider written examination
- Pass the ACLS instructor written examination
- Competently evaluate another student running a Megacode
- Complete any instructor updates as per the AHA (if applicable)
- For concurrent BLS provider recertification, you must also present an unexpired BLS provider card or a valid copy of your HeartCode BLS course completion certificate. Please note that to be considered valid, your HeartCode certificate must be no more than 6 months old at the time of the instructor class.
ACLS Instructor and BLS Provider certifications are valid for a period of 2 years. To maintain ACLS Instructor status, you must teach a minimum of 4 ACLS classes during your 2-year certification period prior to renewal. Your ACLS instructor card supersedes the ACLS provider card.
SCCAD will process certification cards within 20 working days after the completion of all course requirements.